The first week of the term is devoted to getting you oriented. We will get
everybody logged into MyMathLab for the first time, and show
you around a bit. If you want to do it on your own, use the instructions on Getting Started.
MyMathLab is where the online materials and all homeworks and tests reside.
That is where you will be spending most of your time in this class.
Before you do the assignments, you should review the listed algebra
topics in Appendix A of the book. The material should be familiar to all of
you, so we won't spend a lot of time on it during the class meeting. Students
in previous terms haven't had any problems with it. Specifically, the first homework will cover the following material:
- Section 7-2
Set notation, union, intersection, complement.
- Section A-1
: Subsection - Fraction Properties
- Section A-2
Add/subtract, multiply, expand and combine terms.
- Section A-5
: Integer Exponents and Scientific Notation
Rules of working with integer powers; convert from standard to scientific
notation and back.
- Section A-6
: Subsections - nth Roots of Real Numbers and Rational Exponents
Converting between root notation and fractional power notation; practice
the rules of working with powers some more; these are the same rules as in
chapter A-6, but now the exponents are fractions.
- Section A-7
: Subsection - Quadratic Formula
How to solve a quadratic equation numerically.
- Read all the information in the course syllabus.
If it is spelled out there, you are supposed to know about it. There is too much information to absorb at a first reading, but read it through now, and go back to look up specifics later.
- Use the instructions in class or in the Getting Started guide to create an account in MyMathLab, and log in.
- In MyMathLab, complete the tutorial on How
to Enter Answers.
- Complete HW 0 on course policies. This homework has no math in it, only questions about the course policies. Read the syllabus once, try to do this homework. If you don't know an answer, find it in the syllabus. You cannot do any assignment (except for HW 1) until you have passed HW 0 with a score of 100%. This is to insure that you are aware of the most important course policies.
- Complete the first homework assignment in MyMathLab. This covers
the material from appendix A, and section 7.2. The assignment is
due at the end of week 1. For this assignment we won't enforce the
deadline until the end of week 3, to accommodate people who add the course late, but you should get
used to doing assignments on time, anyway.
Wednesday, August 5, 2015