There is no new mathematics material this week.
Exam 3 covers chapters 5 and 6 plus the material on linear inequalities from
section 1-1. The material on interest from chapter 3 is not on the test.
Specifically, the following topics will be on the exam:
- Finding the region defined by a set of linear inequalities; this includes
finding the coordinates of the corner points
- Graphical method for solving Linear Programming problems
- Setting up the equations that go with a word problem
- The Simplex Method. This includes setting up the initial tableau, finding
the pivot, performing a pivot operation (or several), reading off the answer
from the final tableau.
- Finding the coordinates of a point that goes with a given tableau.
- How to recognize the case of no solution
- Setting up the dual problem for a minimization problem
- Reading off the answer to a minimization problem from the final tableau
of the dual problem.
- Setting up and solving a complete word problem.
The exam has 10 questions (fewer than usual, since they are longer). The questions are in fixed order, which is the
order of the material in the book. The last two problems involve solving a
complete linear programming problem each. Make
sure you leave yourself enough time for those.
Remember that you are allowed to use Excel during an exam, and Excel can solve
linear programming problems. It won't help you for questions where you have
to show individual steps, but you can check your
- If you did not take the Exam Policies Homework before, you need to take it now and pass with a 100% score.
- Take Practice Exam 3
- Review the Exam Policies if necessary, and take Exam
3. The exam has a time limit of one hour.
Wednesday, August 5, 2015