SYLLABUS MATH 690G in Spring 2005
Topics in Algebra and Number Theory
- Instructor: Ling Long (Office: 452 Carver Hall & Phone:
- Meeting time: Tuesday and Thursday 2:10-3:30p.m.
- Office hours:
- Textbook: Selected topics from several
- Objective: This is a topic course giving
students a general introduction to several topics in algebra and number
theory with emphasis on training students to give proper presentation and
to do topic searching.
- Grading: The grade is based on a finial
- Topics considered to be covered:
of finite groups.
forms, Lattices, and sphere packing problem.
links, and invariance.
4. Hypergeometricdifferential equations and hypergeometric series.
5. Classical problems: partition functions,
congruence number problems, etc.